Friday, March 14, 2008

My Reproductive Rights

How many children is too many? Is there a number that you have in your head? And once you have that number do you automatically stop? Are you cancelling out a blessing that God has for you or for the world by saying I'm done? I don't know. I had my six-week check-up yesterday. My current OB/GYN has been pushing pamphlets at me about various kinds of birth control since before I gave birth to Charlotte. Personally, I don't feel that it's any of his business whether I have one child or twelve. If I were to ask him about birth control I would expect him to be informative and reliable in helping me to chose a proper method, but as that hasn't happened I expect him to respect my decision.

I believe that you're going to have as many children as God means for you to have despite whatever methods you yourself may use to get pregnant or to avoid a pregnancy. My mother was on birth control when both my sister and I were conceived, and was nursing when I was conceived. By all accounts I shouldn't have been born. I wasn't planned or expected just a year after my older sister was born. But, I believe that I like all of my girls was a blessing and have a divine purpose in this world.

Ultimately, my feelings are this: As a Christian I strive to give control of everything in my life to God. As I strive to "die daily" this is just one thing that I have had no trouble surrendering to Him. He is the giver of all life. Why should I not allow Him the ultimate say in it?

No comments: