Friday, May 9, 2008

I am the Entertainment Center

I was struck by something this morning, as I was making ooga booga faces at Charlotte and shaking rattles while holding rings over her head for her to grab that I am the entertainment center. We've never had one of those clever little mats with rings and colorful thing over head. I guess in my "pre-parent" mind I always thought that those things were just something else to move, to store, to clean-up around. Also in my "pre-parent" mind, I agreed with some guy who said that "children should be an addition to your life, not your life." Your home should always reflect who you are in every aspect, not be completely covered over with the fact that you are a parent. Hmmm. I really do still feel this way. Its a good thought...wonder where I read that. Should read it again. Note to self: look for that book. :)

Anyways, Charlotte was up early this morning. She had a baby bowel explosion. I don't need to explain that do I? I was juggling all this stuff trying to keep her content and stimulated and thought, "I have become the entertainment center." My first thought was, Geez Louise...why didn't you just get one of those silly things, it would be sooo much easier than doing all this yourself...But, after thinking about it a bit more, I realized something. Parenting is not about easy. Would my child be equally stimulated and content with an automated entertainment center. Arguably. But, there is also the opportunity when I do my little routine for her, that we are bonding in ways that I won't fully understand until I see her with her children and possibly even her grandchildren. Someday will she also pass on to her children the "choo choo achoo" song that my mother sang to me and her mother sang to her, to her own children? Its a completely and wonderfully beautiful thought that makes my heart smile.

I am the entertainment center and I am so totally okay with that.

No comments: