Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Staying Home

I was reading a post recently about a situation that from time to time I too find myself in. I am in conversation with a woman who works outside the home and they then say something along the lines of how lucky I am to be able to stay at home with my children. Usually when this comes up, I say something about yes, I'm very blessed to have a husband who allows me to stay at home. I suppose that most people think when I say this is that it is Aaron's job and the money he brings home that has allowed me to stay at home, but this is simply not the case.

Before Aaron and I were married we talked about the various roles that are required of people in marriage and talked about the roles of mother and father at great length. We both agreed that the roles of man and woman are clearly laid out in the Bible and that it was God's plan for our family that I stay home with whatever children would come, if God so chose to bless us. When we were courting I worked in a lower management position at Target. That is certainly not much money, but if I had kept on there, I possibly would have been bringing home between 25k-30k a year.

Two weeks before Anna was born I quit Target and have been "working" out of my home since. This is my calling, and truly all great paths in life come with God's calling. There have been challenges certainly, but God has promised to always be there for us, to provide for our needs and He has been faithful. Aaron has switched jobs and two more children have been added to our family, but the added blessings that I receive daily have more than made up for any slight sacrifice.

No comments: