Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"Every Man Must Tell His Own Story"

I have been reading a lot, here lately, about writing. I haven't done any real serious writing lately with the exclusion of research compilation about Barack Obama, and more research about feminism. But, honestly, to me and through me, that is not real writing. The real stuff for me is that which creates humanity. Why we are the way we are.

About four years ago, I read a print-out of a chapter from an author that a professor told me fit my writing style. This was the first professor that encouraged me, nay, the first person, that encouraged me in my writing; made me believe that my writing was more than a hobby or a waste of time. The print-out was from the book, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. I LOVED the chapter and wrote it down in my notebook as a book that someday I'd like to read through. Well, recently I came across it in a book store and impulsively bought it. (Yes, I do this often. I really shouldn't be left unsupervised.)

In the book Lamott talks about the importance of short assignments and the importance of "getting it down." This was something that the previously mentioned professor preached incessantly. And, from that class, I began to write about life. My life and my observations of the lives around me. At the end of that class and the end of that stretch of my academic career I put all those pages and pages (I admit I had a lot to say) into two large 3 ring binders (I had a LOT to say and I'm a fast typer).

After finishing Lamott's book, I remembered the feeling that comes from being completely caught up in a moment; otherworldly. I may post a paper I wrote about my personal writing experience someday. I no longer, not to say it won't come back, have the hunger for publication that I once had. In it's space has been left a desire to write down my story. Pieces of that story may end up here, but this blog and the story I write for my children and for those I love. I believe in the importance of our history and it's ability to make strong the future of those who study it.

No comments: