Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Three of Them


My sister, Amy, sent this to me shortly after Charlotte was born, and I put it away in her file with a chuckle. Recently I came across it again and thought about how true it is. Charlotte is just now starting to sit for moments at a time on her own. There are more children than I have hands, there are more children than there are adults and I am loathe to take them out into the world all at the same time without having them contained in, say, a shopping cart. I've had to decline numerous invites to people who've invited us to parks and out to the zoo, because I simply cannot do it yet. Anna is certainly rounding the corner of the terrible twos and coming to be quite helpful, but we're not quite ready to be accepting tea-time invitations just yet.
Charlotte is moving up in the baby world, but also is making more work for the mommy-person in the protection department. Abby has taken it upon herself to put Charlotte back into her "natural" position; which is, of course, flat on her back. First this happened when Charlotte began rolling over a few weeks ago. Charlotte would be happily shaking her hands and feet practising the tummy moves when Abby would notice that she had moved away from her spot. Abby would come running over saying, "Uh-Oh!", then flip Charlotte back over onto her back and say, "All better." I think this is her way of being the "little mother" of the house. She cleans and pretends to cook and takes care of her babies. I suppose that we just have to get through to her that toss Charlotte about is not a very nice thing for a mommy to do. :)

No comments: