Monday, November 24, 2008

Standing Up and Falling Down

My have had an "interesting" last few days. We celebrated Aaron's birthday on Wednesday...35 years now. Charlotte started pulling herself up to a standing position...which by itself has created a bit of strain on her and the mommy. While I am glad for her new abilities and it promises of wonderful new things to come, it's difficult right now because she can't seem to get down once she's gotten up. It's almost like she's frozen in place. This will happen during nap time and in the middle of the night. Thankfully, she is getting better at pulling herself up and looks a little less like someones been beating her. Well, at least until she does actually start to walk.

Wednesday afternoon I took Abby in for her two year check up. She's doing everything and more that you should be doing at 2 years old. She is by far the best baby at the doctor's office so far. Anna starts crying as soon as we go back in the office while Abby has always been such a good little soldier through all the poking and prodding they do.

The ridge that Abby had on the back of her head has finally been identified and will soon be fixed. Because the injury was caused by hitting her head on a window, we were naturally concerned that there would be glass in one of the wounds. I stood over the attending ER doctor like a hawk while he checked each section to make certain there was no glass and he assured me that there wasn't and stapled the wounds closed. A couple of months later there was a ridge and ultimately something poky feeling at the end of it. Surprise, surprise...we've got a piece of glass about the size of a raisin in poor Abby's head. The ridge was caused from where the glass entered and tunneled through trying to get out. We'll be going to a pediatric surgeon on December 2nd for a consult and possible removal of the glass, so we'll keep you posted.

I've been doing a lot of baking here the last few days as well. Aaron wanted an apple pie on his actual birthday since we would be celebrating with family during the weekend. I've made probably 20 apple pies in my life thus far and each has been with a different recipe. I've yet to find one that I really like...my sister does make a good apple pie now that I think about it...Hmmm. Note to Amy: send me your apple pie recipe.

I also made Aaron a spice cake with cream cheese frosting for the party with his family. I hope he likes it because he's not gonna have any Sarah help eating it. Cream cheese frosting...yuck!

I made Monkey Bread on Saturday morning which was a big hit. I will only make this maybe two or three times a year because it is so rich and so sweet, but Aaron especially likes it because it reminds him of a Hungarian Nut Roll that his mother made when he was growing up.

Over the weekend we also came down with colds. All three of the girls are snotting green and slightly wheezy sounding, but probably just from their stuffy noses. No fevers or anything and they do seem to be doing better today, so hopefully they'll be gone soon.

Aaron had to work all weekend which was a bummer. It would be nicer if we had more space, because I don't know how he got anything done with all these children making all the noise that they make just walking down the hallway even. I'm glad that he'll have Thursday and Friday off.

I'm also looking forward to going out with some friends a couple of times this week. If my kiddos don't get more sicky or transfer it to the mama, I'm planning on going to The Cheesecake Factory tomorrow night with a small group of MOPS mommies. Then Friday, maybe, going out and doing a little shopping with a friend. Yeah!

I'm supposed to get my stitches out on Wednesday and then of course Thanksgiving! Not a terribly busy week in the life of a mom, but we're looking forward to it. Hope you all will have great holidays with your peeps and stay safe if you're traveling. :)

No comments: