Monday, September 29, 2008

We're Back!

Here are some pictures and captions first in no particular order...I'm still having trouble figuring out the picture uploader, so this post isn't very organized. :)
Poor Abby spiked a temperature of 103 while we were there and the only thing that really made her feel better was mama. This made me feel nice even though Abby didn't feel good, becasue she is such a daddy's girl. Thankfully, with the help of tylenol and a cool bath she seemed to be back to her old self by the next day.
Anna didn't get even a smidgen of sickness while we were there...nothing really slowed her down at all. Although, all the girls slept really well. The second their heads hit the pillows...out.

My sister, Amy...the oldest of our brood. She likes to refer to herself as "OCD": Obsessive Cleaning Disorder. It is amazing to me how immaculent her home was...how organized, clean and clutter-free. Growing up with her, it used to annoy me to no end, but now I admire her for her capabilities as a wife and mother, handling each of the hurdles that have come her way, calmly and with Grace...capital "G" because I know that it comes from God. It's one of her many gifts.

Alexis and Raegan...both of them are "hams." Every time I took the camera out, they were ready to have their picture taken. :)

Anna, all "dolled-up."

This picture has an interesting story behind it...I'm not sure where they got the idea, but Raegan played the part of the manacurist and was giving pedicures. She even put on the little gloves. Here Raegan is doing Anna's pedicure for her night on the town to look nice with her peep-toe pumps. Of course with five girls they had lots of dress up stuff that Anna loved.

Here we have the "big kids" eating lunch together. Feeding time was always a production.

Abby and Ashleigh. They're only six weeks apart and are SO much alike it was scary. They even scream alike...although, and I'm sure Amy would agree with me, Ashleigh's screams are at an octave that Abby has yet to manage. Here they are bathing together, after finding trouble together...I think this time was dirt from the garden. :)

The twins, Ryley and Sydney or Sydney and Ryley. I have no idea which one is which. They were confirmed as identical this summer and although Amy says she can tell them apart, I certainly have no idea how. It must be one of those mommy super-powers of hers.

I think this might be the only picture of all of the girls together.

We're newly back from spending just over a week with my sister's family in Arkansas. It was a new kind of experience for all of us. From the above picture, you can tell that my sister, Amy, has five girls. So, there were EIGHT girls, FOUR AND UNDER in one house. Surprisingly, I think it went very well. Charlotte and the twins, Sydney and Ryley were in the nursery together in a crib and pack-n-play. Amy's older girls, Alexis, Raegan and Ashleigh, already share a bedroom, and Aaron, Me, Anna and Abby shared what is usually the playroom.

Getting there was an adventure all on it's own. We decided that it would be easier on everyone if we drove through the night, so we left around 7:30pm on Friday(the 19th). The girls did really pretty well. Aaron and I took turns driving; each of us drove about half of the 615 miles it took to get there. We arrived just after 4am (Their time) on Saturday, and waited until almost five before waking our hosts. How thoughtful of us, huh? :) We ended up leaving Arkansas mid-day so that we would have Sunday to sort of rest up before the beginning of another work-week. Out of both times leaving, I think I prefer driving through the night. Even though we did seem to pick up a stomach bug that had some vomiting on the way home.
All the cousins were able to spend so much time together and were so tuckered out, I think it may take a week for them to fully recover. :) Amy and I were also able to spend some one on one time together preparing for the yard sale that they had while we were there. I think they made over 500 dollars on their sale getting rid of a great deal of stuff. We also attended a ladies luncheon "of sorts." If nothing else it was extremely enjoyable to listen to the musicality of the southern accent. :) Aaron and Drew even managed to squeeze in a little talk time and even had a "man-date" with Aaron advising on the purchase of a new PC which he got to spend an afternoon putting together. Amy kindly also arranged for two babysitters so that we could have an adults only night out.
Aaron and I were able to enjoy some quiet times on our own as well. Aaron got some writing done and we both were able to do some leisurly reading.
Overall, it was a great vacation and I think we could handle all the kiddos in our house the next time they come up here. We could work it out. Anyways, I think I've just about got my sister to agree to come up here and help me purge for our Spring garage sale before we begin the process of moving.
It was such a wonderful week and reminded me how much I miss my sister and her family and can't hardly wait until they live closer. I'm crossing my fingers for Kentucky. :)

No comments: