Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Beating Heart

Last week, I received a gift. I believe I received it when I did for a reason. I wasn't feeling very well and was laying down. I felt almost a jolt in my stomach and then a thump-thump where I was laying on my belly. The thump-thump continued and I just laid there marveling for a long time. I don't know if you've figured it out, but I believe that it was my babies heart beginning to beat. Needless to say, it was a remarkable feeling and one that I'll cherish, but I'm especially thankful for the timing.

I sort of lurk on a young mother's forum and last Wednesday a woman posted that her boyfriend left her. She went on to say that she caught him cheating, they already had one child together and that she was almost 7 weeks pregnant. She shared a very sad story about how she was the primary caregiver for her child and now the only one contributing financially. She ended by saying that she couldn't possibly support another child alone, but that she wasn't going to ask the man back into her life, he didn't know about the new baby, and was going to abort her child. She later posted that she had had the "procedure" and that other than feeling hollow, she was fine.

I ached over this and was probably thinking about it when I was given a new pouring of love for my own baby. I praised God for his creation of this baby and all babies. I know that everything happens for a reason. Someday, that woman's story and the conversation it started in that forum may go on to touch another life and perhaps even stop another senseless death. God is the ultimate giver and taker of life. He is still on the throne.

No comments: